Tuesday 17 January 2012

Persistence Works, hopefully




I went to visit my friend Heather Dewick in her workshop in Sheffield in the Persistence Works, aka The Art Space. It’s very Heather, full of interesting looking clutter and useful stuff for bookbinders, presses, a guillotine, trays of type, all kinds of paper, leather and fabrics, and a great view over Sheffield city centre. I was at school with Heather and she was interested in old books and poking about in thrift shops for treasures even then, and she would always find stuff I’d miss. She puts her treasures to good use. Many of her books are bound with re-used materials including Ladybird books, tea towels (from kitsch kittens to a present from Chester) and old maps. I’ve always coveted Heather’s books, they’re beautifully made, witty and she has a great sense of colour and design so they are lovely to look at and to hold for writing and reading.



Like most craftspeople she’s not rich from what she does, despite her great skill and commitment to it. In an age of stuff, much of it mass produced in China, the onus is on makers to sell themselves as part of the things they make. That’s a lot to ask I think so one of the things I’d like to do with this blog is to help them plug their skills and products, because we need people who can make things, however unassuming they may seem.


No comments:

Post a Comment